The Huckberry Explorer's Grants
*The application window has now CLOSED and the Explorer Grant Winners have been announced!
When we founded Huckberry in our apartments almost three years ago, we never imagined the incredible community it would spawn.
And while we've always endeavored to inspire our readers to lead more active and adventurous lives, we've always believed that a Jedi draws its strength from the Force. You guys are Huckberry. We're just the stewards.
We're also bootstrapped, and 100% funded by our customers. So it seemed only right that we pay the inspiration forward by using some of our funds to help make your next adventure a reality. Herewith...
THE HUCKBERRY EXPLORER'S GRANTS:
Here's how it works:
1. [Contest Closed]. Tell us about one adventure that you've always wanted to go on. Want to ride the Great Divide? Kayak Alaska's fjords? We want to help you do it. Please keep your entry to 150 words or less, and obviously, the more thoughtful the entry, the better.
3. If you win, you'll receive $1,000 cash towards the adventure, and a bunch of rad gear from our buds at Topo Designs, Poler, Nemo, Peak Design, and Goal Zero. How far can you go on $1,000? Well, Alastair once walked across India on that budget!
4. We'll feature the winners' adventures on our Journal to keep the inspirational karma loop going.
(please read and follow all the Details below)
HERE'S SOME INSPIRATION:
That time four friends took fourteen horses over 3,000 miles down the divide.
That time Chris went to Russia—to dodge bears and find good surf.
That time our designer Jimmy spent 110 days traveling around the world and proposed to his fiancé.
That time three friends rode their motorcycles more than 10,000 around the USA.
Or maybe you're canoeing up to Manitoba, riding a dirt bike to Patagonia (and back), camping every weekend of the summer, or rafting down the Mississippi. Whatever your adventure is, we want to hear about it—and help fund it.
About the Judge:
Alastair Humphreys is a National Geographic Adventurer of the Year, the force behind the #microadventure movement, a prodigious blogger, motivational speaker, author of five books, and full-time adventurer. Beyond that, he’s a normal professional adventurer—36 years old, married, enjoyer of beer.
His adventures include: cycling around the world, completing the Marathon des Sables, canoeing the Yukon, walking across India, packrafting across Iceland, and rowing across the Atlantic ocean, unsupported. His next adventure is in the works.
Find out more at www.alastairhumphreys.com.
And now, for the Details:
- Applications must be submitted by March 31, 2014.
- Please submit a 150 word (or less) summary of your planned adventure, and—for bonus points—a photograph or links to any previous adventures. Creativity helps. Thoughtfulness helps. Planning helps. This is the elevator pitch you always wanted to give, make it count. Here's a sample application.
- Three winners will be announced on April 16, 2014.
- Three winners will receive $1,000 dollars and gear from Topo Designs, Poler, Nemo, Peak Design, and Goal Zero.
- To win, adventure must be scheduled to occur before December 31, 2014, and must be an original adventure, not yet attempted (by you).
- Prizes will be distributed in the weeks prior to each individual adventure launch date.
- Winners must document their travel, and all documentation must be made available for Huckberry and our Explorer's Grants affiliates use. You also agree to post the account of the adventure first on Huckberry.com (after that go buck wild and write a book).
- Huckberry and our affiliates are not liable or responsible for how your adventure plays out, we are only providing financial assistance and gear for the good of the cause.
- Being rad helps. Good pictures help. But most of all, a solid adventure is the golden ticket.
Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air. - Ralph Waldo Emerson