Chicken Pineapple Skewers Recipe
Here at Huckberry we’re big fans of finding ways to bring the things we love about the city with us into the outdoors—we’re firm believers in not having to make sacrifices when it comes to eating and drinking under the open sky. So, to kick off camping season, here’s one of our favorite summertime camping recipes: chicken pineapple skewers. They’re easy to make while enjoying the great outdoors and guaranteed to impress whoever you’ve got gathered ‘round the campfire.
When it comes to this straightforward-seeming dish, the magic is in the marinade. Prep the chicken ahead of time, pick up all the other ingredients on your way out of town, and then let the compliments come rolling in.
Oh, and did we mention it pairs great with our aloe vera margarita? Read on for directions on how to properly kick off summer.
For the marinade:
• ⅓ cup honey
• ⅓ cup soy sauce
• 3 tbs olive oil
• 2 tbs rice vinegar
• 4 tsp minced ginger
• 4 tsp minced garlic
• 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
• 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
• 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 pineapple, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 2 green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
• 1 ½ cups of cherry tomatoes
• ½ teaspoon salt
• ½ teaspoon pepper
• 2 limes
• 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
• 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Mix together the marinade ingredients in a large bowl and add the pieces of chicken. Toss until all the chicken is covered in marinade and then seal everything in a gallon-sized plastic bag. (Do this at least an hour before cooking and as far ahead as the night before.)
2. In a bowl, combine all the veggies and pineapple. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle salt and pepper over them. Toss gently to distribute the oil, salt, and pepper over the veggies.
3. Thread the chicken, veggies, and pineapple onto your skewers (if you’re using wooden skewers, be sure to soak them in water for an hour ahead of time so they don’t burn!)
4. Graze your grill with oil so the skewers don't stick, then heat up your grill to medium-high heat. Grill for 5-7 minutes on one side, then use tongs to flip the skewers over. Grill for another 5-7 minutes on the second side.
5. Remove the skewers from the grill. Drizzle with lime juice, and sprinkle with cayenne and cilantro.
>>Next: Aloe Vera Margarita Recipe