How to Make a Top-notch Hot Toddy
Hot Toddies are typically associated with wintery months and the ugly sweater parties that punctuate the holiday season. Sure, the fiery liquid and bourbon make a great one-two punch when it comes to warming you up from frigid outside temps, but this cold-weather classic actually makes a solid choice for brisk summer nights around the campfire.
With a few simple ingredients (and some of your own for a personal twist), you can throw together the perfect cocktail that elevates your campfire circle from the traditional PBRs and whiskey swigs — not that there’s anything wrong with those options. But for a date night under the stars or a backyard bonfire, this is a slick trick up your sleeve that doesn’t require a whole lot of effort. Give it a try and let us know what you think.
Makes 1 drink
• 1 ounce dark rum or bourbon
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1 tablespoon pure honey
• 1/4 teaspoon apple cider vinegar, optional
• 1/4 cup hot water or brewed black tea
• Thinly sliced lemon
• Cinnamon sticks
Add the honey, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar into a warmed mug (you can warm a mug by filling it with hot water and emptying it). Add hot water or hot tea and stir until all of the honey has dissolved. Add your favorite rum or bourbon, add a freshly sliced lemon, and lastly drop in the cinnamon sticks for both flavor and garnish. Cheers!
We don’t always have all the right ingredients on hand, especially when we’re off the grid. So here’s a list of alternate ingredients for when you’re in a pinch, or just feel like shakin’ things up.
• 1 ounce dark rum or bourbon — with 1 ounce brandy or whiskey
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice — with 2 teaspoons fresh orange or grapefruit juice
• 1 tablespoon pure honey — with 1 tablespoon brown sugar or agave nectar
• 1/4 cup hot water or brewed black tea — with 1/4 cup brewed chamomile or ginger tea